(03) 5427 3466 - hello@topoftherange.net - CLOSED Today (Temporarily closed on Thursdays due to COVID-19)

Major Mitchell Lookout

Endless views of the Victorian countryside

Major Mitchell Lookout in the Cross Reserve. Photo by local photographer Adam Neylon.

Things to see and do

  • Bird watching
  • Lookout/views
  • Historical information plaque

Facilities

  • Lookout
  • Seating

Major Mitchell Lookout

Major Thomas Mitchell, Surveyor General of the Colony of New South Wales; was the first person to map and survey Mount Macedon, naming the Mountain after Philip of Macedon, father of Alexander the Great. He did this on September 30th, 1836.

This lookout, named after Major Mitchell, looks out towards the west across the Wombat State Forest and to the southern part of Woodend.

A plaque erected in his honour was unveiled in 1976 at the lookout.

How to get to Major Mitchell Lookout

Park at the Tea rooms, then head through the Memorial Cross gatehouse. Approximately 100m down the path on the right is the Major Mitchell Lookout.

Major Mitchell Lookout image gallery

Want to contribute photos you've taken at Major Mitchell Lookout? Send us an email!

Snow
Snow

Tea rooms + cafe Macedon Regional Park Top of the Range  
 
Copyright 2020 - Top of the Range, Macedon Regional Park; a division of C_MEDIA
Website designed, developed, and hosted in Australia by C_MEDIA